5.13.2009

Shrimp and Andouille Sausage Gumbo

I have to admit, this is the only gumbo recipe I've tried. But it's so good, I'm afraid to waste all this effort on a new one! It's delicious and so hearty. It takes a little time and work (do all the prep before you start!), but it's so worth it. People are always impressed with the end result. Have fun!
P.S. You can substitute cubed chicken for the shrimp, if desired. Add it in with the sausage.


Shrimp and Andouille Sausage Gumbo

Serves 8

Ingredients:
1/2 c vegetable oil
1/2 c all-purpose flour
4 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
2 green bell peppers, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
2 tsp salt
2 tsp dried oregano, crumbled
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
5 8-ounce bottles clam juice (when I'm serving people who aren't big seafood fans, I split the 40 ounces between clam juice and chicken broth)
1 28-ounce can plum tomatoes
1 lb smoked andouille or kielbasa sausage, halved lengthwise, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/2 lb okra, trimmed, cut crosswise into 1/4 inch-thick slices

2 lbs uncooked medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
Freshly cooked long-grain rice
2 tomatoes, seeded, diced

Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat until almost smoking. Add flour and stir until dark red-brown, about 8 minutes. (If this is your first time making a roux, don't get scared with this step! My first time I made this, I didn't let the roux get dark enough because I thought it would taste burnt. The second time I was more adventurous and my darker roux noticeably deepened the flavor of the gumbo!)

Immediately add celery, onions, bell peppers, and garlic. Cook 5 minutes, stirring and scraping the bottom of pan often. Mix in bay leaves, salt, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Add clam juice, chicken broth if using, canned tomatoes and sausage. Boil 15 minutes.

Add okra, reduce heat and simmer until okra is tender, about 15 minutes. (This can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to simmer before continuing.)

Add shrimp to gumbo and simmer until just cooked through, about 3 minutes. 

Mound cooked rice in soup bowls. Ladle gumbo over. Sprinkle with tomatoes.

1 comment:

  1. yumm...Jordan and I love this recipe! I use chickpea flour and it makes a nice roux. Last time, I couldnt find clam juice, so I had to buy canned clams and used whatever juice there was inside. I then had two big cans of drained clams leftover, so I ended up throwing them in the gumbo (instead of the shrimp) - really good, actually! Also, try chopped cilantro on top as a garnish - yum!! :) but I put cilantro on everything!

    ReplyDelete